How to Talk to Anyone: Part 2 [Techniques 9 to 16]

In my last post, I shared the first 8 techniques from Leil Lowndes’ book How to Talk to Anyone. Those were mostly about first impressions, posture, and body language. This time, we’re moving a little deeper into how to blend into conversations, make people feel comfortable, and avoid awkward starts.

As always, I’ll remind you, I am not perfect at this. I am a learner. Sometimes I try these techniques and end up doing them half-right, but that’s still progress. Sharing them here helps me remember, and maybe it will help you too.

                                               


9. Watch the Scene Before You Make the Scene

Picture this. You open a door, stride into a room, and boom, you are instantly louder than everyone else. The conversation freezes, all eyes on you, and you realize you just walked into the middle of a serious discussion. Awkward.

This technique is simple: before making your entrance, pause for a few seconds. Scan the room, notice people’s tone, body language, and general mood. Are they laughing? Are they serious? Are they quietly sipping chai? Once you get the vibe, adjust your energy to match it as you step in. This way, you slide into the scene like you belong there, not like a misplaced background dancer in a movie.


10. Make a Mood Match

Ever noticed how you sometimes click instantly with people? A big reason is matching energy. If someone is calm and thoughtful, and you barge in all hyper and loud, the mismatch feels jarring. They may not say it, but they’ll feel it.

Mood matching is about syncing with the other person’s emotional frequency first. If they are reserved, start on the same note. If they are cheerful, meet them there. Once you’re aligned, you can slowly raise or lower the energy of the conversation. Think of it as tuning into their radio station before changing the song.


11. Prosaic with Passion

We all know those questions that pop up in every conversation: “Where are you from?” “What do you do?” Most of us reply like robots: “I’m from Hyderabad. I’m an engineer.” End of story.

This technique says, don’t be boring. Add a spark. For example, instead of “I’m from Chennai,” try, “I’m from Chennai, the city where summers feel like someone left the oven on all year.” Or if someone asks what you do, don’t just name your job title, share a fun slice of it. Even a hint of enthusiasm can make you sound interesting and memorable.


12. Always Wear a Whatzit

A “whatzit” is a little thing that invites conversation without you having to say much. It could be a quirky watch, a keychain shaped like a cricket bat, a T-shirt with a clever line, or even a notebook you carry around.

Why does this work? Because people are curious. They see something unusual and it gives them an easy icebreaker: “Hey, cool keychain, where’d you get it?” Boom, you’re in a conversation without the awkward “so… what do you do?” opener. Think of a whatzit as carrying around your own conversation bait.


13. Whoozat?

This one is about doing a little homework before you meet people. If you know you’re about to meet someone, learn their name, maybe a small detail about what they do. That way, when you talk to them, you don’t start from scratch.

Imagine meeting someone and saying, “Oh, you’re Raj, right? I heard you’re working on a startup in Bhopal.” That tiny effort makes people feel seen and valued. It’s much better than the flat, “Hi, who are you again?”


14. Eavesdrop In

Normally, eavesdropping has a bad reputation. But here, it’s a clever way to join a group conversation without feeling awkward. The idea is to casually listen to what’s being said nearby and, when the time feels right, join in with a smooth line.

For example, if two people are debating last night’s cricket match, you can say, “Sorry to interrupt, but I couldn’t help overhearing, did you also think that last over was pure chaos?” It feels natural, not forced. The key is to do it lightly, so you don’t come across as nosy.


15. Never the Naked Introduction

Introductions are boring when they’re naked. “This is Arjun.” Okay, and? Give the introduction some clothes. Add a little extra detail: “This is Arjun, he’s the one who rescued our office printer last week when it jammed mid-report.”

That extra nugget of information does two things. First, it makes the introduction warmer and friendlier. Second, it gives the other person something to start a conversation with. Naked introductions leave people stranded, dressed-up introductions open doors.


16. Be a Word Detective

People drop clues about themselves in the words they use. If someone says, “I’m drowning in work,” and you reply with “Yeah, I’m very busy too,” you missed a chance. Instead, use their word: “Drowning is the right word, I’ve felt that way too.”

Why does this matter? Because it creates subconscious rapport. People feel you “get” them, simply because you reflect their choice of words. It’s like speaking their dialect without even trying. It’s small, but powerful.


That’s techniques 9 to 16. I’ll be honest, some of these are easier to try than others. I’m still fumbling my way through them, but slowly I see how they make conversations less awkward and more enjoyable.

I’ll continue going through this book and sharing what I pick up along the way. Honestly, it’s the best book on communication I’ve read so far. By the time we’re done, hopefully both of us will be a little better at talking to anyone, or at the very least, never run out of things to say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Psychology Behind Saving: Why We Struggle to Stick to a Budget (and the Side Effects of EMIs)

The Courage to be DISLIKED

Dopamine Detox: A Wake-Up Call for the Scrolling Generation