It’s Been a Year Since My Eye Surgery and This Is How It Feels

A year ago, I was lying on a hospital bed with my eyes wide open, bright lights above me, and a surgeon’s steady voice guiding me through PRK. I still remember that ride home. It was a mix of excitement, hope, and honestly, a bit of fear. Would I really wake up one day and see clearly without glasses? Or had I just signed up for months of regret?

Today, it has been one full year since that moment. I think this is the perfect time to look back and share how life has changed.


Life Before Surgery

For context, I had a power of -5 in both eyes. Which meant I could barely recognize my own reflection in the mirror without glasses. Watching TV without them was like listening to a radio. You knew something was happening, but you had no clue what.

Glasses with that high power brought their own struggles. They slid down my nose every two minutes, fogged up in the rain, and left me squinting under helmets. Waking up at night and fumbling for them just to check the time was my daily routine.

And then there was the ultimate torture: watching a 3D movie. Imagine wearing your big prescription glasses and then putting those plastic 3D ones on top. It felt less like a movie experience and more like carrying a science experiment on my face. I saw the film, yes, but everyone else saw me struggling with double glasses, adjusting them every two minutes, trying not to look like a robot.

Life with glasses had its funny side, but honestly, I was ready for a change.


The Early Days I Can’t Forget

The first few weeks after surgery are still fresh in my mind. The burning sensation, the blinding light sensitivity, the constant dependency on eye drops, it all tested my patience. Simple tasks felt impossible. Even walking near a window felt like staring directly at the sun.

Back then, I wrote a blog about those struggles (blog link). It served both as therapy for me and guidance for others. Looking back now, I realize how important it was to trust the process. Healing was not instant. But it was happening quietly, every single day.


Why PRK and Not Other Options?

There are several options available today for correcting vision. Procedures like LASIK or SMILE usually come with faster recovery and less pain compared to PRK. In my case, though, I had a thin fundus, which made PRK the only safe choice.

The good part is that PRK does not leave a flap or scar in the eye the way some other surgeries can. This is one of the reasons why it is often preferred for people in the military, where long-term eye strength and resilience matter more than a quick recovery.

So yes, while PRK tested my patience, it was also the best decision for my eyes.


One Year Later, How Does It Feel?

Fast forward to today, my vision feels natural. I wake up in the morning and don’t have to fumble for glasses. I sit at my laptop for work without the nagging thought of frames sliding down my nose. I get haircuts without worrying if I’ll see properly when the barber asks, “Is this length okay?”

There are still small things I notice. For instance, during the first few months, night driving felt a bit odd with halos and glares. Now, those issues have reduced so much that I barely notice them. My eyes do get dry sometimes, but it is manageable with a few drops here and there.

Overall, it feels like I have been given a new sense of freedom. A freedom that even my -5 glasses could never deliver.


Lessons from This Journey

  1. Patience pays off. Healing from PRK is slow, but the results are worth it.

  2. Take care of your eyes. Sunglasses outdoors, screen breaks, and regular checkups are not optional. They are musts.

  3. The mental battle is real. The first month can mess with your confidence, but if you hang in there, it gets better.

  4. Freedom feels priceless. The little things, like swimming without lenses or falling asleep without worrying about glasses, make the whole struggle meaningful.


Would I Do It Again?

Absolutely. Despite the pain, the doubts, and the long recovery, I would still choose PRK. If I could go back in time, I would probably just remind myself to stay calmer and more patient during recovery.

This past year has been proof that sometimes the toughest journeys give the clearest rewards. Quite literally in this case.


Final Word

If you are considering vision correction, know that there are different options out there. Some are quicker and less painful. But in cases like mine, where PRK is the safer option, the journey is worth every step.

It has been a year, and I can finally say it was all worth it. And to be honest, I don’t miss foggy glasses in the rain or double glasses in a 3D movie one bit.


P.S: Here's the animated video of the surgery if want to know how it's done.

Video Link: https://youtu.be/EoWdquQfAbA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Psychology Behind Saving: Why We Struggle to Stick to a Budget (and the Side Effects of EMIs)

The Courage to be DISLIKED

Dopamine Detox: A Wake-Up Call for the Scrolling Generation